Measurement Units and Uses
MEASUREMENT UNITS AND USES
This unit standard is designed to provide credits towards the mathematical literacy requirements of the NQF at level 2. The essential purposes of the mathematical literacy requirements are that, as the learner progresses with confidence through the levels, the learner will grow in:
- An insightful use of mathematics in the management of the needs of everyday living to become a self-managing person
- An understanding of mathematical applications that provides insight into the learner `s present and future occupational experiences and so develop into a contributing worker
- The ability to voice a critical sensitivity to the role of mathematics in a democratic society and so become a participating citizen.
People credited with this unit standard are able to:
- Convert numbers between the decimal number system and binary number system
- Work with numbers in different ways to express size/magnitude.
- Demonstrate the effect of error in calculations.
2. PROGRAMME ENTRY REQUIREMENTS / LEARNING ASSUMED TO BE IN PLACE
The credit value is based on the assumption that people starting to learn towards this unit standard are competent in Mathematical Literacy and Communications at NQF level 2.
4. UNIT STANDARDS REFERENCE
9010 Demonstrate an understanding of the use of different number bases and measurement units and an awareness of error in the context of relevant calculations NQF 3 2 credits
Please refer to office for formal quotation.